Week 8 response : To Zane, From your brother Alonzo

Dear Zane,


Poughkeepsie has been treating me well, as well as any rural place can. It's a lot different here compared to Mississippi. My handyman job at Vassar has been paying me well enough to where haven't really thought about the loot of shine we left. I have set up a still though, a small one, just for me.
Speaking of Mississippi, I do have something to say to you. Would like to preface by saying that I am appreciative of what you did to help me. Without you and Carl I'd likely be rotting in some hodge podge ditch, and Michaela'd be sittin fat on the spoils of my death and hard work. I am thankful for that.
What I'm wondering about is how you talked to me when I was locked up, joking how I was always the troublemaker, that I'm a jackass.
I know that what you do ain't easy but that don't make what I got into my fault.
You're doing good work, but watch yourself in what you ask and expect of black people, people who don't pass like you.



your brother,

Alonzo



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sister

Week 10

Week 5 Response