Clare to Incognegro

Dear Mr. "Incognegro,"

Before I start, let me say that I don't want you publishing this letter, or showing it to anyone. It is a risk for me even to write you. But it is one I'm taking, because you, more than anyone, understand what it is to keep a secret.

I've seen your articles in The New Holland Herald. Thank you for your work. Thank you for putting your life on the line for those of our people who are being lynched.

In some ways, we have a lot in common. I'm "passing," too, but instead of using our light skin to uncover the injustices white newspapers choose to ignore like you are, I've made the decision to be white indefinitely, for my own sake. Still, it didn't always feel like my choice. After my father died, the only stories I heard were the ones my white aunts were telling me, and it made passing seem like the only option.

Recently, though, I'm wondering if that was the case. I took another risk, and contacted my old friend, Irene. She seems to have the perfect life. I recently introduced her, who can also pass, to my husband, Jack. She made me realize I have grown numb to his deep and insidious racism. I am so jealous of her and her husband, Brian... I've met him, and he really is charming. Anyways, I don't know if Irene will let me hang around, and every time I do it is becoming more and more dangerous, but I think I'm willing to take the risks in order to be with her.

All of this is to say, I'm not sure what to do. I'm starting to think that while your passing is making you a hero, it's making me a coward.

I know we will probably never meet. It just feels good to share my story with someone who understands. Well, do you understand? Maybe you will look down on me for letting myself become a part of the society that perpetuates the very racism you expose. Maybe we don't have much in common after all... I hope you can still understand, at least a little bit, why I'm doing what I'm doing.

You'll be in my thoughts.

Best wishes,
Clare Kendry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sister

Week 10

Week 5 Response